Monday, November 12, 2007

Salsa Chicken


I had a lot of left-over salsa from the other night that I wanted to use. I created this easy recipe using some ingredients I already had around the house. DH ate two huge plates full, so I'm pretty sure he liked it.
.
Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 breasts)
1 package Spanish rice (I used Zatarains)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn, drained
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Spices to taste (cumin, cilantro, salt, pepper)

Directions:
.
Preheat oven to 375. In a greased casserole pan, place the uncooked rice, the seasoning packet that come with the rice, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Mix well. Stir in can corn (drained) and diced tomatoes (with juices). Place the two chicken breasts in the pan on top of the rice. Season the chicken with spices. (I used about 1 teaspoon each of cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper). Top each chicken breast with 1/2 cup salsa. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake covered for 45 - 50 minutes. Top the salsa chicken with cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 10 - 15 minutes.
.
2 servings. I served this with Velveeta shells and cheese (DH's favorite side dish).

No comments: